Crown Layered Pavlova
By Diana & Caro
Crown Layered Pavlova is a great recipe to use up egg whites. Paired with fresh cream & strawberries, it makes a lovely light summer dessert.
Using BBC Good Food Recipe
Another strawberry recipe Diana tried, was this Crown Layered Pavlova. Simply whisk up meringue, form circles on baking/parchment paper, bake & then fill and layer.
Full recipe from the BBC Good Food website (link below) and I have just added on the conversions and different words used for our US & Canadian bakers.
Diana and her family enjoyed this light dessert and would recommend it to others.
You can also fill the meringues with other fruits, or even swap the whipped cream for some Crème Pâtissière (creme pat/pastry cream) or fold in some cream to the creme pat and make a Diplomat Cream, for a lighter texture. Another option is Lemon Curd. Diana went a step further & dipped some strawberries in melted dark (bitter) chocolate & chilled till set. (See Photos)
Diana’s Meringue Tips
Just a few tips from Diana, for making this pavlova – to test if the egg whites are whisked enough, Diana likes to turn the bowl upside down and if the whites don’t move, they are done.
She also advises that it is best to leave the meringues in the oven over night, as storing in the fridge will result in condensation and the meringues weeping. Leaving in the oven will produce a nice meringue with a crisp & chewy centre.
Finally she advises that some cracks will inevitably result from pavlova and not to worry about it, just to be very gentle.
CROWN LAYERED PAVLOVA
Taken from BBC GOOD FOOD website- full BBC Good Food Layered Pavlova recipe. My comments in red.
- 6 free-range Egg Whites (medium to large UK – large -xlarge USA)
- pinch Salt
- 350g/12oz Caster Sugar (1 3/4c Extra/Super Fine Sugar)
- 2 tsp Cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tsp White Wine Vinegar or Lemon Juice
For the filling
- 600ml/20fl oz Double Cream, whipped until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed (2 1/2 cups Heavy/Whipping Cream)
- 500g/18oz Strawberries, hulled (Approx. 2 1/2 cups)
- Icing Sugar (powdered or confectioners’ sugar) for dusting
- OVEN: 180c/350c/Gas Mark 4 (Fan Oven 160c)
- Reduce to 140c/275f/Gas Mark 1 (Fan Oven 120c)
- FOR FULL RECIPE – BBC Good Food Crown Layered Pavlova recipe.
Follow me on social media: