CHRISTMAS CAKE COVERING DETAILS
TRADITIONAL CHRISTMAS CAKE
PART 4 – Covering The Cake
Below are the details of how to cover your Traditional Christmas cakes, as appeared in the original Be-Ro recipe books. This is part of a Traditional British Christmas Cake Bake-along. For all the details, the 100 year old recipe and parts in the series, go to Traditional Christmas Cake Bake-together.
Traditionally, British Christmas cakes are first covere din marzipan, and then topped with either fondant or Royal icing.
Covering In Marzipan
- These are from the old Be-Ro books, with details of how much you require for certain Christmas cake sizes. You either cover with a thin layer of marzipan or almond paste, and then fondant icing or Royal Icing on top. All of these will preserve the cake and make it last a long time. Note the annotations on this first photo are made by Christine’s gran because it was a well used recipe.
- 10oz Ground Almonds = 284g = 3 level cups Almond meal
- 8 oz Caster Sugar = 227g = 1& 1/8 cup
- 8 oz Icing Sugar = 227g = 1 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 8 – 9″ = 20 – 23cm
- 2lb = 32 oz = 907g = 7 1/4 cups Powdered Sugar
- Another excerpt from the old Be-Ro books Christine has saved over the years.
- 8 – 9″
- 3 1/4 cups Almond Meal
- 1 & scant 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 32 oz (8 cups) Powdered Sugar
- Pasturised egg whites, meringue powder or even Royal icing sugar with the dried egg whites in it.
- For a tutorial & video on how to make up Royal icing, please see my friend Tanya’s recipe here.
- Alternatively, watch her video. Note you will need the stiffer thicker consistency for covering your cake.
An even older edition of Be-Ro, (that started in the 1920’s).
CONVERSIONS FOR CHRISTMAS CAKE COVERINGS
- 1lb Ground Almonds = 454g = 16 oz = 5 cups Almond Meal
- 12 oz Icing Sugar = 340g = 2 3/4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 12 oz Caster Sugar = 340g = 1 3/4 level cups
- 1lb Icing Sugar = 16 oz = 454g = 3 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
TIPS FOR COVERING CHRISTMAS CAKES
STORING CHRISTMAS CAKES
Thanks for reading
Happy Baking & Making
Happy Tummies & Memories!